Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mentors

In life, I think it is very important to have mentors. Mentors can range from a former school teacher, close friend, family member, or business associate. In my life my father has been a positive role model in my life. My father has taken care of our family probably more than I even know, and plus his is a great man of Christ. As for other parts of my life I have two other gentlemen that I place that mentor tag on.

I think mentors play a important role in ones life. To me, a mentor is someone that one can bounce ideas off of, talk about important decisions that are taking place in ones life, and also get advice from someone who has life experience that can give perspective.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure either one of these men know how much I value their input. These are both men that I trust and know their intentions when giving advice. They also share the same values as my father as in being family men and also men of Christ.

So you are more than likely asking who these men are by this point. Well one is Bryan Mizzell. Bryan has known me pretty much since the day I was born. Bryan was 13 or so when I was born, and his father and my father were on staff together at a church in Tuscaloosa. Bryan is a military guy who is now a pilot for UPS and lives in Tuscaloosa once again. I usually see Bryan every two or three months. Bryan has worked hard for everything he has but yet kept his family first. I feel that is very important no matter who you are.

The one thing that stands out about Bryan is how he gives. Not only does he give his time to sit down with me from time to time to catch up talk about things going on in my life but he loves opening up his house during the summer for people to visit his lake house. I think Bryan really gets joy in helping and teaching others one of his interest, water sports. I've never once heard him say "man I'm ready for these people to leave." Bryan is truly one of the most genuine people I know.

The other is Jeff Dance. Jeff, like Bryan and my father is also a family man and a man of Christ.I've only known Jeff for about two years. See, Jeff is my Sunday school teacher. Jeff really has a passion for teaching young professionals. I usually see Jeff at least once a week if not more. Jeff is just a great overall resource for me and I'm thankful for it. I really do value our friendship.

If you noticed they all share the same characteristics. To be honest, I think you have to have those characteristics. You have to have your values in place in order to be an influence in someone else's life.

So, how does this relate to business? Are you in a place where you can be an influence on someone? If you are, are you being a positive or negative influence? If you fell like you are being negative, think about ways to change that and become a positive influence, not just for them but for yourself as well. Be giving of your time and resources.

1 comment: